Today we discussed different types of brain injuries as well as things that occur with these different types. I guess its just one of those things in life that is hard to understand without watching someone go through it or experiencing it yourself. I personally am drawn towards those suffering from something of this sort or even their loved ones because I could not imagine going through it myself. I cant believe that 1.7 million people each year have to face this. I get emotional just sitting here and reflecting about waking up one day and not being able to communicate the way I always had or not participate in my everyday routine. And at the same time while these things make me emotional to reflect on and put myself in their shoes, it always reminds me that I am making the best decision becoming an OT. I know that this lifestyle this job isnt for everyone, and knowing that I have the heart for this is so rewarding and pleasing. Im so interested and excited to learn more and more about these neurological conditions.
For my first Neuro-Note I decided to watch the documentary Transfatty Lives and boy was it eye-opening. The documentary is about a 30 year old man named Patrick O’Brien, who has just been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). This film did an incredible job portraying every single aspect of what living with ALS is actually like. Before his diagnosis Patrick was a DJ in New York City, an internet personality, as well as a filmmaker. From what it seemed Patrick was the life of the party just about wherever he went. He was in the process of shooting a film when he was diagnosed with ALS and decided to turn the cameras to portray what his life would become. This film truly made me think about how I would handle or approach coming to terms with something like ALS. I do know that there is no way I would be able to remain as happy and as upbeat as Patrick did, nor could I continue to make everyone around me continue to smile the way he did. His story was so inspirational, not...
very inspiring post!!
ReplyDelete