Skip to main content

NeuroNote #1

For my first Neuro-Note I decided to watch the documentary Transfatty Lives and boy was it eye-opening. The documentary is about a 30 year old man named Patrick O’Brien, who has just been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). This film did an incredible job portraying every single aspect of what living with ALS is actually like. Before his diagnosis Patrick was a DJ in New York City, an internet personality, as well as a filmmaker. From what it seemed Patrick was the life of the party just about wherever he went. He was in the process of shooting a film when he was diagnosed with ALS and decided to turn the cameras to portray what his life would become.
This film truly made me think about how I would handle or approach coming to terms with something like ALS. I do know that there is no way I would be able to remain as happy and as upbeat as Patrick did, nor could I continue to make everyone around me continue to smile the way he did. His story was so inspirational, not only to me but hundreds and hundreds of people across the country who followed his journey. Not only did this film show us what life looks like with ALS, but it showed us what everyone around Patrick experienced as well.
Throughout the film Patrick made references to things known about ALS to kind of portray what the disease is and what it does and how it progresses etc.. Once I completed the documentary I decided to google some other facts about ALS and here are a few things I found:

·      ALS is a disorder that affects the function of nerves and muscles. Based on U.S. population studies, a little over 6,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year.
·      Most people who develop ALS are between the ages of 40 and 70, with an average age of 55 at the time of diagnosis. However, cases of the disease do occur in persons in their twenties and thirties.
·      Half of all people affected with ALS live at least three or more years after diagnosis. Twenty percent live five years or more; up to ten percent will live more than ten years.
·      Once ALS starts, it almost always progresses, eventually taking away the ability to walk, dress, write, speak, swallow, and breathe and shortening the life span.
  • Military veterans are approximately twice as likely to develop ALS.

These are just a few interesting facts I thought would be beneficial to share. I choose this activity because I truly enjoy watching documentaries especially those that have a powerful message. I am also a sucker when it comes to something emotional, so it’s easy to assume I shed a few tears while watching this film. I also choose this specific documentary because I don’t believe I’ve ever seen first-hand how ALS impacts a person’s life. I would highly recommend this documentary and I plan on letting others know about Patricks story.

Comments

  1. I loved this film too! Your post is very insightful; I think one thing about this diagnosis that affects us so much is the age of many of the individuals it impacts (and the speed of the progression). Definitely inspiration for living life with vigor and passion! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Cameron! You've inspired me to watch this film now! I think it's great that Patrick impacted so many people including you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Group Facilitator

Today, Chelsea, Gracie, and I facilitated a group over time management skills. I found this experience to be very beneficial and ironic. We actually all three, after selecting the topic of time management, forgot to do our rough draft until the day before its due date. However, this did not stop us, we stayed at school and worked until it was complete. I was actually very impressed with how well we came together and were able to make a great plan for our groups meeting. I really liked being able to do this because I know I will lead many groups during my fieldwork in Alaska and the more practice I get the more prepared I will be. I felt that we each equally delivered on this project. We were able to come together and decide on a plan that I believe flowed very well. My main take away from this experience was how it felt to actually be the leader, even if just in a simulation. It also made me very excited for the opportunity to actually lead a group in my up coming level 2 fieldwork.

3-16-17

I personally really enjoyed learning about the MOHO model which is a Model of Practice (MoP). Basically the MOHO views occupational performance by using terms such as volition, habituation, and performance + environment. Through this model these 3 inter-related aspects are considered as what we are comprised of.  The purpose of the MOHO is to provide reason as to why these 3 factors influence what people do in their everyday lives and to and to show how problems can arise when they are interrupted by illness, impairments, etc., and how that tends to disrupt occupations. I also learned that the term "motivation" is very involved with MOHO. The MOHO attempts to to show just how occupation uses motivation, if that makes sense. It also emphasizes that to understand human occupation, we have to understand the physical and social environments in which it takes place. A key concept involved with the MOHO is that engagement in occupation is what produces or maintains health!

Neuronote #2

On Wednesday we were given the opportunity to attend the Memphis Rolling Grizzlies practice. The Rolling Grizzlies are a group of guys that are athletic, entertaining, and very inspiring. The individuals who make up the team all have different backgrounds, lifestyles, and goals, however there are two things they all share; they love the game of basketball and they play in the National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA). For those of you who think the words disabled or paralyzed entails that someone is unable to compete or perform in an athletic sense get in contact with me and I’ll take you to the next practice and be more than happy to show just how wrong you are. We watched them practice for two hours, and I honestly hadn’t realized that even 30 minuets had gone by because I was so engaged and amazed with what I saw. I don’t know about you, but I played baseball, basketball, and football my whole life growing up, practice after practice. With my memories and knowledge of baske