Skip to main content

NAOP daily challenge #1

I found that Ted talk to be pretty heartbreaking. I was absolutely blown away by that we have disabled defined in such a way that is so hurtful, wrong, and untrue. How can we as a society justify in the world we live in today that this is okay? We live in a world that will scream racism or sexism at every chance it gets yet no one cares to look at the way we define things. I could not imagine reading a definition that I knew was describing me whether it was true or not if it were anywhere near as hurtful as what we consider the word disabled to mean. Words are meant to uplift not bring down, if this wasn't true you would of never been told "if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say it at all," would you? It wouldn't matter if words were meant to hurt and/ or cause pain. So if disabled must have the meaning that it does then I believe we better do a damn good job no longer using it to describe anyone ever. I'm so grateful that there are others in this world that share the same viewpoint as I do, together hopefully we fix things like this for one children and grandchildren so that they grow up in an atmosphere thats much truer than ours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NeuroNote #1

For my first Neuro-Note I decided to watch the documentary Transfatty Lives and boy was it eye-opening. The documentary is about a 30 year old man named Patrick O’Brien, who has just been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). This film did an incredible job portraying every single aspect of what living with ALS is actually like. Before his diagnosis Patrick was a DJ in New York City, an internet personality, as well as a filmmaker. From what it seemed Patrick was the life of the party just about wherever he went. He was in the process of shooting a film when he was diagnosed with ALS and decided to turn the cameras to portray what his life would become. This film truly made me think about how I would handle or approach coming to terms with something like ALS. I do know that there is no way I would be able to remain as happy and as upbeat as Patrick did, nor could I continue to make everyone around me continue to smile the way he did. His story was so inspirational, not...

Katelyn Grammes: ALS

Katelyn did her presentation on Steve Gleason who is a previous NFL player who now has ALS.  ALS, or amyotrophic laterals sclerosis, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.  There are two different types of ALS, sporadic and familial. Sporadic, which is the most common form of the disease in the U.S., accounts for 90 to 95 percent of all cases. It may affect anyone, anywhere. Familial ALS  accounts for 5 to 10 percent of all cases in the U.S. Familial ALS means the disease is inherited. In those families, there is a 50% chance each offspring will inherit the gene mutation and may develop the disease  Shortly after being diagnosed Steve decided to turn his experience into a documentary. He also started an ALS foundation. Katelyn was very prepared and also did an excellent job on her powerpoint and presentation. One really cool thing I learned was that he has a state of the art power-wheelchair that he contr...

Neuronote #2

On Wednesday we were given the opportunity to attend the Memphis Rolling Grizzlies practice. The Rolling Grizzlies are a group of guys that are athletic, entertaining, and very inspiring. The individuals who make up the team all have different backgrounds, lifestyles, and goals, however there are two things they all share; they love the game of basketball and they play in the National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA). For those of you who think the words disabled or paralyzed entails that someone is unable to compete or perform in an athletic sense get in contact with me and I’ll take you to the next practice and be more than happy to show just how wrong you are. We watched them practice for two hours, and I honestly hadn’t realized that even 30 minuets had gone by because I was so engaged and amazed with what I saw. I don’t know about you, but I played baseball, basketball, and football my whole life growing up, practice after practice. With my memories and knowledge of baske...