I decided to do my first post over the theory of occupational
adaptation (OA). The theory of occupational adaptation describes the
integration of two global concepts that have long been present in occupational
therapy thinking: occupation and adaptation. Most occupational therapy is
driven by the assumption that as clients become more functional, they will be
more adaptive. The theory of occupational adaptation takes the opposite point
of view. Practice based on OA is driven by the assumption that if clients
become more adaptive, they will become more functional. The theory is backed by
six guiding assumptions about the relationship between occupational performance
and human adaptation. The theory proposes that equilibrium or homeostasis can
result in a state of dysadaptation. Personal adaptation is proposed in the theory
as a human phenomenon that is in a continuous process of order and disorder and
reorganization. I really like the approach this theory takes with the therapeutic
process.
For my first Neuro-Note I decided to watch the documentary Transfatty Lives and boy was it eye-opening. The documentary is about a 30 year old man named Patrick O’Brien, who has just been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). This film did an incredible job portraying every single aspect of what living with ALS is actually like. Before his diagnosis Patrick was a DJ in New York City, an internet personality, as well as a filmmaker. From what it seemed Patrick was the life of the party just about wherever he went. He was in the process of shooting a film when he was diagnosed with ALS and decided to turn the cameras to portray what his life would become. This film truly made me think about how I would handle or approach coming to terms with something like ALS. I do know that there is no way I would be able to remain as happy and as upbeat as Patrick did, nor could I continue to make everyone around me continue to smile the way he did. His story was so inspirational, not...
Well articulated! We'll be talking about this theory in class next week.
ReplyDelete